The Goddard of today took shape in earnest in 1938, when a group of educators led by Royce “Tim” Pitkin proposed a Vermont “College for Living” to be located on a Plainfield sheep farm purchased from the Martin family.
This new college would provide the environment for students and faculty together to build a democratic community featuring plenty of the “plain living and hard thinking” espoused in Goddard’s early mission. The aims were far-reaching, radical. These aims still influence and, 与 some change in nomenclature and practice, aptly describe Goddard to this day. The original, 1938 皇冠游戏官网 catalog described them this way:
- 现实生活教育, through the actual facing of real life problems as an essential part of the educational program.
- The study of vocation as part of living rather than as something different and an end in itself.
- The integration of the life of the College 与 the life of the community, and the consequential breaking down of the barriers that separate school from real life.
- The use of the community as a laboratory.
- The participation of students in policy making and in the performance of work essential to maintenance and operation as part of the educational program.
- The development of a religious attitude that is free from sectarianism recognizing that any activity which is pursued on behalf of an ideal end of universal worth is religious.
- The provision of educational opportunities for adults.
新学院, while small in scale (starting 与 50 students and a truckload of old furniture and books moved to the Martin family’s farm), 充满灵感, drawing on the experiences of Bennington, 萨拉·劳伦斯, 里德, 新的安提阿, 黑色的山, St. John’s, and the educational innovations of the University of Chicago. Most people in the Goddard community now associate “Kilpatrick” 与 the main dormitory on the Greatwood Campus in Plainfield. 然而，这是Dr. 威廉·基尔帕特里克, an influence on founding president Tim Pitkin and in whose honor the building is named, who stated three principles key to the Goddard practice:
- The most fundamental fact of life is change.
- People learn only what they inwardly accept.
- Education is a moral concern.
The Goddard practice continues to view learning as a function of the whole person and the intellect, in the context of awareness of a responsibility to the personal and social consequences of behavior. Over the past 70-plus years in Plainfield, 皇冠游戏官网’s program evolved and flourished, and experiments were undertaken, 扩大, and then abandoned or segued into new experiments. Students studied for a year in countries around the world, 在非洲, 欧洲, 印度, 中东, 和亚洲. Interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary studies that supported students’ individual interests and passions made for a dynamic campus life.
整个60年代, enrollment swelled to over 1,500 as the American counterculture, back-to-the-land movements made Goddard’s educational philosophy and location attractive to a new generation disillusioned 与 traditional structures and lifestyles. This influx of 教员 and students and its consequent burst of creativity not only changed Goddard forever, it continues to affect Vermont and far beyond as Goddard graduates bring their energetic questioning and status-quo–changing philosophies and skills to social, 政治, 环境, 创业, 艺术上的努力.
In 1963, the Goddard Adult Degree Program was inaugurated 与 two-week seminars that allowed adults returning to school to earn bachelor’s degrees through independent study 与 faculty advisors. This truly new concept tailored college to busy working adults 与 families. Featuring a low-residency experience 与 independent learning, 这种创新, fledgling experiment is now at the core of Goddard’s offerings for both bachelor’s and master’s degree programs. The original Adult Degree Program was the groundbreaking experiment that continues to impact the landscape of higher ed.
Goddard recently commemorated its 150岁生日, which neatly aligns 与 the 75th anniversary of the school’s move to Plainfield and the establishment of 皇冠游戏官网, and the 50th anniversary of the Adult Degree Program. It is a potent time to reflect on the mission and purpose of the College, to gain a deeper understanding of and appreciation for the College’s origins and history, 评估现在, and to look to the future 与 added clarity and renewed vision.